There are six different forms of transport which you use to travel between Bangkok Train Station and other parts of Bangkok. Bangkok Train Station is located in the Yaowarat (China Town) district of Bangkok not far from the Chao Phraya River and many of the most important temples and markets in the city. Whilst this is an exciting city centre location it is also a traffic ‘hotspot’, with congested roads near the train station, and between the train station and the major express ways linking Yaowarat to the Domestic and International Airports and other districts of Bangkok. For a quick journey rail passengers are advised to make full use of the various forms of public transport available: Bangkok taxis are not necessarily the best form of transport to Bangkok Train Station.
6 Transport Options for Journeys to and from Bangkok Train Station
- Metro: Hua Lamphong (the local name for Bangkok’s main train station) the final stop on Bangkok’s underground train line.
- Taxi: There is a meter taxi rank managed by the police to the left hand side (as you enter) of the station building. This is a much better place to get a taxi than on the street.
- Motorbike Taxi: They wait opposite the taxi rank near the road that runs around the left hand side of the station. In Thailand motorbike taxi drivers wear orange vests with numbers on.
- Tuk Tuk: There are normally 15 to 20 tuk tuks waiting by the corner of the train station in front of the taxi rank.
- Bus: The cheapest but slowest way to travel to and from the train station. The bus stop is behind the taxi rank, and beyond the fence on the left hand side of the start of Platform 12.
- Chao Phraya Express Boat: The Chao Phraya Express Boat service has a pier (Pier Number 4: The Marine Department Pier) which is 1.2 km (16 minute walk) away from the train station. This very inexpensive commuter boat service has frequent daytime services for most destinations near the Chao Phraya. The Pra Athit pier to north of the train station is a short walk from the Khao San Road area.
RECOMMENDED TRAVEL ROUTES TO BANGKOK TRAIN STATION
Route 1: Sunvarnabhumi International Airport to Bangkok Train Station
The best way to do the journey is to take the Airport Link train to Makkasan Airport Link station, where you leave the train and exit the Airport Link system. From Makkasan Airport Link station walk the short distance to Phetchaburi MRT system from where you travel South on the metro to Hua Lamphong, which is the stop for Bangkok Train Station.
Key Travel information:
- The Airport Link station is in the basement of the main terminal building at the International Airport. Follow the escalators down as far as you can go and the station is there.
- The 2016 fare from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Makkasan station is 35 THB.
- Phetchaburi MRT station is connected to Makkasan Airport Link station by an overpass. Follow the signs upon leaving the Airport Link, the walk takes around 5 minutes.
- The 2016 Metro fare from Phetchaburi MRT station to Hua Lamphong MRT station is 30 THB. The journey time as estimated by the Bangkok Expressway and Metro Public Company Limited is 13.5 minutes.
Route Map from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Makkasan station
Route Map from Phetchaburi MRT station to Hua Lamphong MRT station
Route 2: Don Mueang Domestic Airport to Bangkok Train Station
The best way to do this journey is to take the A1 Shuttle Bus from the airport to Chatuchak Park MRT station. From Chatuchak Park MRT station travel direct by metro to Hua Lamphong MRT station which is the stop for Bangkok Train Station.
Key Travel information:
- The A1 Shuttle Bus leave from in front of the main Airport building on the ground floor.
- Tickets for the shuttle bus can be purchased on the bus. The 2016 fare is 30 THB.
- Shuttle buses on the A1 route are scheduled to depart every 12 minutes from 07.30 to 24.00. The journey can take anything from 25 to 40 minutes depending on the traffic.
- The AI Shuttle Bus has a planned stop at Mo Chit BTS station, from there it is 290 metre walk further along the same road to Chatuchak Park MRT station. Use the overpass in Mo Chit BTS station to cross the road.
- The 2016 Metro fare from Chatuchak Park MRT station to Hua Lamphong MRT station is 42 THB and the estimated travel time is 34 to 38 minutes.
Route Map from Don Mueang Airport to Chatuchak Park MRT station
Route Map from Chatuchak Park MRT station to Hua Lamphong MRT station
Route 3: Khao San Road to Bangkok Train Station
- The walk from the Khao San Road to Phra Arthit Pier is 1.0 kilometres and takes 11 minutes.
- Chao Phraya Express Boats run from 06.00 to 19.00. There are several boats each hour.
- The 2016 Chao Phraya Express Boat fare from Phra Arthit Pier to Marine Department Pier is between 12 and 20 THB (or 40 THB on the Tourist Boat) depending upon which boat service you take. Tickets can be purchased on the boat.
- The boat journey from Phra Arthit Pier to Marine Department Pier takes around 16 minutes.
- The walk from the Marine Department Pier to Bangkok Train Station is 1.2 kilometres and take 16 minutes.
Route Map from the Khao San Road to Phra Arthit Pier
Route Map from Phra Arthit Pier to Marine Department Pier
Route Map from Marine Department Pier to Bangkok Train Station